I’ve always wanted to have a nice vegetable garden and to grow beautiful flowers. The problem was that I didn’t have the space living in a subdivision. Now that we moved to a bit more rural location, I have more space for a garden and lots of flowers so I am super excited. With spring on its way, now is a great time to start planning the garden.
I received Urban Gardening For Dummies in the mail earlier this month and I am impressed with all the helpful information inside. Urban Gardening For Dummies has 330 pages of tips, tricks and general information about gardening in an urban environment. The book is divided into six parts that include 23 chapters. It also features an extensive index in the back which really makes finding specific information very simple.
Contents of Urban Gardening For Dummies
- Urban Gardening 101 – Gardening in the City, Reaping the Benefits of Urban Gardening and The Urban Microclimate
- Gardening Basics – Getting to Know Your Soil, Feeding and Fertilizing Your Soil, Getting Your Hands Dirty: Planting How-To
- Places and Ways to Garden – Creating and Outdoor Room, Containing Your Garden, A Garden With a View: Rooftop Gardening, Going Vertical in Your Garden, Apartment Gardens, Community Gardening and Urban Farming
- Growing Plants in the City – City Setting, Country Food, The Annual Flowering of the City, Perennial Flowers, Roses, and Bulbs of the City, Growing a Tree…In Brooklyn, Lawns and Ground Covers
- Growing to Perfection – Weeding and Mulching Your Plants, Watering Your Garden, Controlling Urban Garden Pests,
- The Part of Tens – Ten Tools for Urban Gardeners, Ten Kid-Friendly Ways to Garden in the City, Then Tips to Manage a Sustainable Urban Garden
As you can see, this book covers everything you need to know about gardening in an urban environment. Urban Gardening For Dummies is written in a very detailed way so that anyone can follow along. I haven’t read the entire book but I have read the parts that I found to be the most interesting and relevant to my situation. After reading the book I am excited to start making the preparations for our garden.
Urban Gardening For Dummies is the perfect book for those folks who are thinking of starting a garden and live in town or have a space to work with. It’s really geared towards beginning gardeners (like me!) which is something I think many people will appreciate. I would recommend this book to someone who is just getting started or thinking of getting started with gardening in an urban environment.
You can find more information about Urban Gardening For Dummies or any of the other Dummies books at www.Dummies.com. It is available to buy directly from there or on Amazon.
Disclosure: I received the book for review. Opinions are always my own.