Every year around this time I start thinking about what I would like to accomplish in the new year. Not that I have a bad life, but I always hope that the new year will be better than the year before. 2012 was a rough year for me in many ways. My mental health was up and down, my son had a terrible teacher for much of the year (which was rough on the whole family) and we welcomed a family member into our home only to get smacked in the face for it. To say that 2012 was a rollercoaster year would be a fair statement.
2013 is going to be better! It just has to be. I have set some goals for myself that I know will make 2013 a much better and healthier year for me and my family.
1) Become more independent. This is difficult for me because my anxiety forces me to rely on my husband so much. My lack of independence can really put a strain on our relationship.
2) Focus on the positive and let go of any guilt. I am a bit of a pessimist so this is something I have to actively work on. I let the negative things in my life control my mood way too much. I also blame myself for things that I can’t change. Things from year’s past that are weighing me down. I just need to let it go.
3) Get more exercise. I am about 15 pounds from my goal weight and I really don’t get enough exercise. In the new year I’d like to start walking in the neighborhood so that I can get in better shape. I think exercising will help me both physically and emotionally. It’s a win-win.
4) Eat healthier and cook at home more. This is something that is also difficult for me because I am such a picky eater. I also enjoy eating out much to my husband’s chagrin. My goal is to cook at home at least 6 nights a week and to incorporate more veggies into our meals.
5) Spend more quality time with my sons. I am guilty of not spending as much time with my boys as I really should. They are at that age where they want to do their own thing which is great, but I need to get more involved.
6) Spend less and save more. I like to spend money and I have a terrible time saving. My husband is a pennypincher so we often argue about this. My goal is to save more this year and try to only buy the necessities.
So those are my goals for 2013 and I am going to work hard to meet them. Do you make New Year’s resolutions or goals? Care to share?
*Photo courtesy of LDaugaard on Flickr.