I’m a big fan of a variety of ethnic foods and one of my very favorites is Mexican food. I used to eat out at a variety of Mexican restaurants but then I had my gallbladder taken out in 2009 and my body decided it no longer liked the food. :insert sad face here:
I still visit Mexican restaurants once in a while, but when I have a craving, I make these Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas.
- ½ yellow onion – chopped
- 1 small can green chiles
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1⅔ C HOT water
- 1 packet low sodium taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3 large breasts)
- 1 pack burrito size flour tortillas
- Shredded Taco cheese (I use 1½ bags)
- Lettuce,Tomato,Taco sauce,Guacamole (optional)
- Cooking spray (I use Pam)
- Place chicken in crock pot on high. Put garlic, green chiles and onion on top. Dissolve taco seasoning in hot water and pour on top of that.
- Cook on high for three hours or until chicken is done.
- Midway through cooking shred up the chicken a bit with two forks.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from broth.
- Finish shredding chicken in a food processor or with two forks.
- Put chicken, cheese and taco sauce on flour tortilla. Roll it up and tuck one end (or both).
- Place chimichangas in a baking pan. Spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes on 350°.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle more shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for another 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let cool and enjoy!
This recipe is easy to make and you can adjust the toppings to suit your tastes. It makes 8-10 chimichangas which is plenty for my family of four. I think refried beans or Spanish rice would be great paired with the chimichangas for a large dinner.
I hope you enjoy my recipe!